FAQ

edited March 2020 in General

Post all of your procedural questions here-- if you're confused about an assignment, if you need help getting something to work, this is the place to ask.

Comments

• edited March 2020

Is there a better way to reply to someone's comment than just making another comment?

• @fionaw said:
    Is there a better way to reply to someone's comment than just making another comment?

You can push the quote button underneath their comment :)

• Q: What's the goal of my research paper/what should my thesis be/how do I do this?

A: So anthropology (at it's best) thrives on local knowledge-- the on-the-ground insights and lived reality that policy wonks, quantiative theorists, and even journalists sometimes miss. Governments and organizations can pat themselves on the back for a job well done, but without an intimate connection to the local, they'll never really know or understand their true impacts.  That's why social movements, their political positions, their strategies, their goals, their desires are so incredibly important.
    My goal with these papers is to strengthen local voices by bringing that local knowledge to bear on policy discussions-- both in a research paper and in an op-ed.
    That means ideally your thesis would look something like this: "Xyz policy is leading us on xyz path. However, xyz social movement reveals xyz problems with that path and proposes xyz path forward."

NGOs are not the same thing as social movements, but unfortunately, given our time constraints, geographical distance and limited access due to the outbreak, sometimes they're going to be the best available proxy for local voices, or (in a better scenario) a point of access in which we can reach the social movements they are connected to.

First, I'd say hone down your topic.  Are you going to focus on FPIC? Subsoil rights? Clean water protections? Second, reach out. I'd say best case scenario, email the organization (or linked in message some people) and say "Hi I'm really interested in your work on xyz issue and love what your organization does. I am in the process of writing a research paper on it.  I was hoping I could exchange emails, talk on the phone or live chat with someone working on xyz. You can reach me at ____"  If that doesn't work, you'll be limited to what you can find online that seems to reveal the local perspective: it could be quotes from indigenous peoples on their website or in news articles or in academic writing.

• I think this is more of a personal question or disagreement I guess. I do not really understand that thing that we can only post two times in a row but not 3 times. I understand we want fluid conversations but we can not expect everyone to connect at the same time for such a long time :cold_sweat:

• @Julieta said:
    I think this is more of a personal question or disagreement I guess. I do not really understand that thing that we can only post two times in a row but not 3 times. I understand we want fluid conversations but we can not expect everyone to connect at the same time for such a long time :cold_sweat:

Okay lets revisit this on Monday.

• Are we zooming today still and just not checking in on projects or just not zooming at all?

• @caroline22 said:
    Are we zooming today still and just not checking in on projects or just not zooming at all?

We moved that to Tuesday

• @joshua What citation style should we use for our papers? What font size and spacing?

• 12 point double spaced. All else is your choice.

• @joshua said:
    12 point double spaced. All else is your choice.

Is there a 10 page limit on the paper or 10 pages minimum?

• Haha both. But I won't count you off for going over.

• Is anyone else struggling to open the article "Why Do Environmentalists Keep Getting Killed Around the World?" It keeps telling me since yesterday that something went wrong and it does not open :(

• @Julieta said:
    Is anyone else struggling to open the article "Why Do Environmentalists Keep Getting Killed Around the World?" It keeps telling me since yesterday that something went wrong and it does not open :(

If you search the article name in the website it shows up- you have to do this for a couple others too.

• @caroline22 said:

@Julieta said:
    Is anyone else struggling to open the article "Why Do Environmentalists Keep Getting Killed Around the World?" It keeps telling me since yesterday that something went wrong and it does not open :(

If you search the article name in the website it shows up- you have to do this for a couple others too.

@Julieta said:

Sorry about that-- the link works fine on my computer I'm not sure why.

• @joshua said:

@caroline22 said:

@Julieta said:

@Julieta said:

Sorry about that-- the link works fine on my computer I'm not sure why.

No idea why, I tried searching for it by its name and to open it from another computer and still was not lucky